Tuesday, April 26, 2011

And the Waiting Continues

Well I am now officially past my due date, and I do not have a baby yet...I went to the doctor on Monday, and I had not progressed any further than I was last week, which was 75% effaced and barely 1 cm - although both times the doctors had to force that 1 cm, so I'm going to say I may not even be at 1 cm. Since I do have what we are anticipating to be a "large" baby (she was already at what they thought to be 7 pounds at week 37), the doctor has recommended an induction for the end of this week - if she doesn't come on her own. While I am nervous about what an induction may mean for my goals of having a natural delivery, I think my nerves of delivering a 10+ pound baby naturally outweighs my induction nerves, haha. The good news about my doctor is that if the induction doesn't take - meaning I don't dilate or have steady contractions, she will let me go home and we can try it again next week. Although we are both pretty confident it will take since I am so far along.

TMI Alert! (Do not read this paragraph, if you don't want to know the ongoings of a woman close to delivery) I lost my mucus plug this morning, which means that cervix is pretty much fully ripened by now. The majority of women go into labor anywhere from 24-72 hours after this happens. So far I have still not felt anything more than some light menstrual like cramping (which has been going on since week 37), and I have felt my abdomen "harden" a few times, but I only notice that if I touch it, it never actually hurts or feels like a contraction has been described to me as feeling. I have been told by multiple people that I could be in early early labor, but I don't know what to think. All I know is nothing feels like it's coming and going every 4 minutes which is what I need to be feeling in order to go into the hospital.

I started to stress out quite a bit this morning wondering if I would "know" when I go into labor, since I haven't felt anything yet. It's not that I want to feel pain from contractions or anything, but I think if I had at least felt something at this point, I'd know what to look for, as opposed to my current state of wondering what every little movement and feeling in my abdomen is. I finally settled down this afternoon when I made the realization that since I am so in tuned with my body, it would be pretty hard for me to miss any obvious signs of labor. All I know for sure is that I will (hopefully, as long as the induction takes) have a baby by this weekend, and I am beyond excited to be able to say that :)

No comments:

Post a Comment